National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, November 10 – 18, 2018
National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is an annual program where people come together across the country to draw attention to the challenges of hunger and homelessness. Participating groups spend the week holding a series of educational, service, fundraising, and advocacy events. No one should have to worry about whether they will have food on their plate or a roof over their head. The reality is that hunger and homelessness are widespread problems and affect far too many people.
For more information on how you can get involved, visit https://hhweek.org
Check back regularly for our schedule of education events, service projects, and fundraisers.
*Schedule subject to change.
Sunday, November 11
- Faith Community kickoff: Sunday service announcements and love offering
- 1-4pm: RayGun pop-up shop Buy a “Housing is a Human Right” shirt at RAYGUN and 20% of your clothing for a cause purchase will be donated to Shelter House through November 30. Shirts available in-store or online at https://www.raygunsite.com/products/housing-is-a-human-right
Monday, November 12
10-2pm: Under Your Wing Donation Drive (and Wednesday, November 14)Donate non-perishable goods, hats, scarfs & gloves for Shelter House’s Low Barrier Winter Shelter. Visit facebook.com/UnderYourWingStudentsForShelterHouse/events for information on donation locations
- 6:30pm: Finding Place exhibit at FilmScene Shelter House & the Fairweather Lodge program, in partnership with Film Scene, are proud to feature Aaron Kahler & Owen Johnson’s art in “finding place” Exhibit open to the public November 12-30
Tuesday, November 13
- Founder’s Day Celebration Celebrating 35 years of service to individuals experiencing homelessness in Johnson County and surrounding communities
Wednesday, November 14
- 6pm: Foodies Fighting Homelessness Purchase tickets to one of our partner restaurants and enjoy food & drink which showcase each restaurant’s unique style while interacting with community supporters. Tickets available at bit.ly/shelterhousefoodies
Thursday, November 15
- 10-3pm: Community Connections Day and Veterans’ Stand Down Winter clothing, bus passes, haircuts, foot clinic & other services available; sponsored by Johnson County Local Homeless Coordinating Board. Click here for more details.
- 11:30-2pm: Soup Luncheon at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
Join us for a community-wide event at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church – all are invited! Enjoy homemade soups, breads, and desserts. Free will donation and new socks for our Winter Emergency Shelter; sponsored by Gloria Dei Lutheran Church & Lutheran Campus Ministries. Visit https://www.facebook.com/events/501777783622321/ for details.
Friday, November 16
- Volunteer Day of Service Organize a service project or join compassionate and caring volunteers at Shelter House. Hills Bank employees will be prepping, cooking, and serving hot breakfast for shelter guests.
THANK YOU to our sponsors for helping to put food on tables and house the homeless!