National Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, November 16 – 24, 2019
National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week is an annual program where people come together across the country to draw attention to the challenges of hunger and homelessness. Participating groups spend the week holding a series of educational, service, fundraising, and advocacy events. No one should have to worry about whether they will have food on their plate or a roof over their head. But the reality is that hunger and homelessness are widespread problems and affect far too many people.
This is a time for us all to start to think about what we are thankful for, a perfect time to share our compassion with our neighbors who are experiencing homelessness and work toward a world where no one has to experience hunger or homelessness. NHHAW offers the chance to contribute to a national social movement.
What can you do? Check out our schedule of events, service projects, and fundraisers below to see how you can make a difference. All events open to everyone!
Special thanks to our NHHAW Local Presenting Sponsors
advocate | educate | outreach | fundraise
Casual for a Cause Encourage employees to dress down or wear jeans in exchange for a small donation to Shelter House during NHHAW. Show your support and commitment to ending hunger and homelessness and wear a Shelter House sticker. Planning is easy! To request your Casual for a Cause kit, email us at email@example.com.
Children’s Storytime Shelter House and local elementary schools have partnered to help spark discussions surrounding homelessness. Volunteers and staff will read age-appropriate picture books during library time to help children learn about poverty, hunger, and homelessness. These stories offer children and parents a safe space to learn more about topics that are sometimes sensitive and can produce a lot of questions.
Philanthro-shop Buy a “Housing is a Human Right” shirt at RAYGUN and a percentage of your clothing for a cause purchase will be donated to Shelter House through November 30. Shirts available in-store or online at https://www.raygunsite.com/products/housing-is-a-human-right.
*Schedule subject to change. Check back as new activities are confirmed.
Sunday, November 17
- Faith Partners Worship Service: Faith-based organizations have long been fundamental partners to Shelter House and our ability to provide resources and supports to individuals experiencing homelessness. Through dedicated Sunday service announcements during NHHAW and an optional love offering, faith partners will continue to mobilize our outreach and raise awareness.
Monday, November 18
- 10AM-1PM, Student Bake Sale (and Wednesday, November 20 and Friday, November 22): Grab a sweet treat on your way to class! Local high school and university student organizations will host campus bake sales to fundraise and support individuals experiencing homelessness in Johnson County and surrounding areas.
- IMU, Ground Floor – Host: Order of Omega
Tuesday, November 19
- 5-6PM, Housing is Health Care Discussion Panel moderated by Senator Zach Wahls: Housing and healthcare professionals discuss the intersection of housing and overall physical and mental health. We will explore the link between stable, safe, and affordable housing, positive health outcomes, and reductions in health care utilization and costs; presented by University of Iowa Health Care. Medical Education Research Facility (MERF) Urmila Sahai Auditorium, 375 Newton Road, Iowa City. RSVP online: bit.ly/HealthCarePanelRSVP.
- 10AM-1PM, Student Bake Sale IMU, Ground Floor – Host: Hawkeye Optimist Chapter
Wednesday, November 20
- 6PM, Foodies Fighting Homelessness: Purchase tickets to one of our partner restaurants and join us on November 20th for dinner. Enjoy a 3-course meal while you interact with other community supporters. Prices start at $20/person and include food and drink; however, gratuity and additional drinks are on your own. 100% of proceeds directly benefit Shelter House. Be sure to get your tickets soon; whether it be to an old favorite or something new, there are plenty of amazing restaurants to choose from. View restaurants & purchase tickets online: https://shelterhouseiowa.salsalabs.org/foodies
Thursday, November 21
- 11:30AM – 2PM, Soup Luncheon & Sock Drive: Join us for a community-wide event at The Congregational United Church of Christ Iowa City, 30 N Clinton St. Enjoy homemade soups, breads, and desserts. Bring free-will donations and new socks for our winter emergency shelter; presented by Gloria Dei Lutheran Church & Lutheran Campus Ministries.
- 10AM – 2PM, Community Connections Day: Event open to all individuals experiencing homelessness, individuals experiencing poverty, and Veterans in our community to gain access to community resources and gear up for winter; presented by Johnson County Local Homeless Coordinate Board. Robert A. Lee Recreation Center, 220 S. Gilbert St, Iowa City.
- 10AM-1PM, Student Bake Sale Pappajohn Business Buliding (PBB), Galleria – Host: Tippie Students for Service
Friday, November 22
- 5PM, Lost in America film screening: Join us for a free, one-time special screening of Lost in America; a documentary film that follows director Rotimi Rainwater, a former homeless youth, as he travels the country to shine a light on the epidemic of youth homelessness in America. These youth are not outcasts; they are our future and by illuminating their stories we hope to serve as a catalyst for change. Iowa Theater, Iowa Memorial Union, 125 N Madison St, Iowa City.
- 10AM-1PM, Student Bake Pappajohn Business Building (PBB), Galleria – Host: Phi Alpha Delta